17 September 2011

Gijon y Vigo

I wonder if there is a way to politely find out whether your tour guide sings. Here we are a captive audience in the bus heading back to the ship when the tour guide announces over the loud speaker that he will now sing for us. Singing without music on a good microphone is difficult at best... I can assure you that soloing on a bus PA system really sucks.

The entire day in Gijon seemed to be for the pleasure of the guide... He would look around and decide; we will go in this direction... I think there was no direction in mind other than "I have this sigh for people to follow and I will tell them if they do not keep up (I will sing) and they will be lost for eternity. But then, I am probably being harsh, after all he gave us 10 whole minutes to look inside a church... We walked through (or we were paraded through) the open market "twice". With his little sign raised high, for all those lowly market people to see his power.

Thank god our tour was canceled in Vigo... We walked and shopped and asked for directions; had hot chocolate at a street cafe. Vigo is hilly so our legs got a great workout.

If you plan to stop along the atlantic coast of Spain... Bilboa and Vigo were great to visit... Gijon could be skipped.

Sailing off to Lisbon this evening; I'm looking forward to Portugal.

No comments:

Post a Comment